MY THOUGHTS ABOUT COLIN KAEPERNICK AND THE NIKE CAMPAIGN

By Dustin Smith

Mr. Somers

3rd Period

10/29/2018

Colin Kaepernick’s choice to kneel during the national anthem has gotten a lot of  attention. President Donald Trump has caused this situation. His hate-filled speech encourages division and protest. He has also gave his opinion about Nike’s decision to make him the face of the “Just Do It” campaign. The reason for Kaepernick’s decision to kneel during the national anthem was to inform people about the police brutality against african americans. President trump has said that he disagrees with this, because of this some Americans think Trump is racist.  I think his protest isn’t the normal way Americans salute the flag during the anthem. President trump also says that he doesn’t think that Kaepernick is disrespecting the flag, but merely showing that he also has freedom and rights like everyone else. Kaepernick chose to show his rights and I  agree with this. Another thing is that I don’t see a way for either side to agree, but the amount of police brutality against african americans today is unreal and needs to be addressed. However, standing for the national anthem is part the american culture and tradition. I question whether Trump is helping the situation with his comments.